How to join
Membership of Southampton Orienteering Club (SOC) and British Orienteering is encouraged for anyone resident in south Hampshire interested in orienteering. While membership is not usually required to attend local events, it brings the following benefits:
- A reduced entry fee at many orienteering events nationwide
- Half-price entry when helping at SOC events
- Free SOC training and social activities
- Free entry when representing SOC in inter-club competitions and relay events
- Access to discounts from British Orienteering's partners
- Subsidised club kit (free for juniors who achieve their British Orienteering Navigation award)
- Eligibility to compete in competitions such as the British Championships, SCOA League, and SCOA Championships
- For juniors, the ability to train and compete with the SCOA Junior Squad
- SOC and British Orienteering email newsletters
- Access to SOC's WhatsApp, Facebook, and Strava groups
- Opportunity to map, plan, or organise SOC events
- Ability to score ranking points at all Regional, National, and Major Events (if you are 16 or over)
- Recognition through British Orienteering's 'Navigational Challenge' and 'Racing Challenge' incentive schemes
- Access to many resources in the members' section of the British Orienteering and SOC websites
- Eligibility to vote at the SOC and British Orienteering Annual General Meetings
Membership fees for 2024 are made of a component for SOC and a component for British Orienteering. The amount is dependent on your age at the end of the year and how much of the year remains. For 2024, British Orienteering has also introduced a family category. See the attached PDF for full details.
Other membership types
Group membership of SOC is available for youth groups providing activities for young persons aged 18 and under. Contact the enquiries [at] socweb.org (membership secretary) for more information.
Individuals may also join SOC directly if, for example, they are already a member of British Orienteering through another club. Please complete the online membership form and then make payment via bank transfer as directed.
Please contact the enquiries [at] socweb.org (membership secretary) for any assistance or further information.